Monday, October 30, 2017

Spinach Dip Crescent Roll Ring (One Green Planet)

Vegan Month of Food 2017
"Lines and Light"
(a line or two of original poetry or a photo of beautiful Michigan light every day in October) 

"Oh, give thanks unto the Lord, for He is good." Psalm136:1
(not original to me! King David gets full credit for those beautiful words!)

Day 30: Practice for Thanksgiving 

Gotta have lots of appetizers and snacks on T-Day

The light is at the end of the Vegan Month of Food tunnel! Tomorrow’s post will be the last one, and I must say, 31 posts in 31 days has been a challenge, but I did it. Hopefully some of you became more motivated to try vegan food and meals and attitudes. Remember, ‘vegan’ doesn’t mean weird or hippie or liberal or deprived or grungy – no. It means not hurting animals. That’s the bottom ‘vegan line.’ Leave animals off your plate.

When I think of eating animals, the most upsetting situation is Thanksgiving. Imagine all the turkeys. Every single home, every single American. All the traditions of being thankful have been lasered in on one iconic item: the turkey. When did stuffing our bodies full of turkey almost to the point of illness become our sole representation and expression of thankfulness?

We won’t be eating a turkey at my home as a way to express our thankfulness. We will celebrate family and friendship with a table full of the earth’s bounty.

Autumn always puts me in a thankful mood: I love the cool air, the colors, the gentle sunlight, and the darker afternoons. If you’ve been reading these October posts, you might recall this line of poetry, which to me says it all.

‘October is a gentle queen who crowns the year in gold.’

Penning that one line was how I began this year’s Vegan Month of Food journey. I was a passenger on a long car trip, trying to decide if I should once again tackle this huge challenge (31 posts in 31 days, guys!). I was scribbling down ideas and landed on my theme of “Lines and Light.” This was the first line I wrote, and it has been my undergirding theme of the entire month.


Be thankful this season and show it in gentle ways. 


Original recipe can be found HERE. This was surprisingly good! 

8 ounces vegan cream cheese
3 ounces vegan sour cream
1/2 t onion powder
1/4 t garlic powder
1 box frozen spinach, thawed and squeeze dry
1 tube crescent roll dough

Arrange the crescents in a big pointy star. Mix the filling well. Spoon on the dough and fold the points over to form this ring. Bake 400 about 20 minutes. 

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I love how you give a disclaimer that you did not write the Psalms!

    That looks really tasty. I wish they sold crescent roll dough here because it would really help my laziness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I know how you feel, it saddens me to think of all the meat that gets consumed in the UK over Christmas. This year my family has agreed to have a meat-free Christmas period, and I'm so happy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!