Monday, October 16, 2017

Zombie Apocalypse Cheesy Potato Enchilada Casserole

Vegan Month of  Food 2017
“Lines and Light”
(a line of original poetry or a photo of light every day for the month of October)

Why can’t I write a poem about a tree?
They are too big for me
Their secrets held deep
Communing with the heavens and knowing the dark places of the earth
They age with a beauty beyond understanding and spread their testimony over me


Day 16 – Survival Food – There’s a zombie apocalypse! 
What can you make from just canned food?
(click HERE to see what others are sharing today)





I love cooking from my pantry and freezer. Some of my best meals have been off-the-cuff inventions from last minute decisions and additions. This combo, from my pantry and freezer, was seriously, seriously delicious. Add some sour cream, salsa, pickled jalapenos, and you have a meal fit for a Mexican/American queen. 

Here's what you need:
canned beans
canned diced tomatoes
canned diced potatoes
canned green chilis
garlic
1/2 package taco seasoning
onion
flour tortillas
some sort of nacho cheese (mine was from the freezer ... it was most likely Isa's recipe for cashew queso with red peppers)

Here's what you do:
Saute the onions and garlic. Add the beans, tomatoes, green chilis, and taco seasoning. Also add about 1/2 C water and allow to cook for a while until perfect. 

In another pan, brown the potatoes in a bit of oil. Add the cheese sauce.
Layer it all together... I started with a bean layer and ended with a potato layer. Bake for a while, covered at first and then uncovered. Don't let that top layer dry out. SUPER!! 

1 comment:

  1. You are well prepared for the zombie apocalypse! I wish I always had frozen nacho cheese at hand!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!